What happens when you combine peaches, a quick coconut oil based crumble and a few splashes of Jack Daniels’?
Amazing things, my friends.
One night I had a hankering for something sweet and accidentally stumbled upon this super easy, super satisfying pie. After rummaging through the cupboards I came up with a bag of frozen peaches, a bottle of Jack, coconut oil and a leftover, frozen pie crust. I grabbed a lemon from the tree outside, rounded up some flour, coconut sugar and realized I was looking at the makings of a pie.
It’s sweet – but not overly so – with a just a hint of smokey, warm whiskey flavor, and a nice finish thanks to the coconut crumble. Best of all, it comes together in less than an hour, requiring just 35 minutes in the oven. Serve it with vegan vanilla ice cream or a generous scoop of whipped cream and enjoy.
1 9″ Frozen Organic Pie Crust – I used Wholly Wholesome Brand
1 Bag Frozen Peaches – 12oz
1 TSP Maple Extract
Dash Himalayan Pink Salt
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
2 TBSP Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
2 TBSP Guar Gum
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Raw Cane Sugar
2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Set out the frozen peach slices and allow them to soften
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the maple extract, pink salt, lemon juice, and whiskey.
- Prick holes in the frozen crust bottom and place in the oven to brown – approximately 10 minutes.
- Cut the slightly softened peaches into chunks and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the peaches with coconut sugar guar gum. Toss to coat.
- Reduce oven temp to 375. Remove the crust from the oven and fill with the peach mixture.
- If your coconut oil is completely solid, place it in a bowl or sink of warm water to soften slightly. You want it flexible, but not liquid.
- In the same mixing bowl combine the raw cane sugar and flour. Add the coconut oil a tablespoon at a time and crumble together with a fork. If the crumble is dry I like to add cold water a teaspoon at a time until I hit the right consistency.
- Cover the pie with an even coating of crumble and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When you remove the pie from the oven allow it to cool before cutting so the filling has time to set.