Confession: I’ve been drinking.
In fact, I’m drinking right now.
WATERMELON juice that is! It’s like 7:30 in the morning and I’m not in Mexico so how dare you assume I might be consuming alcohol?
We’re going to be hitting the beach hard for the next 3 weeks. Malibu. Coronado. Cabo. In anticipation of all the tummy exposure, I’ve committed to 2-a-days until we leave (better late than never, amirite??). So, wtf does watermelon have to do with this?
It’s basically the perfect fitness food for anyone trying to push to the next level.
Some things you might not know about watermelon:
- Watermelon is approximately 92% water. It’s filling AND refreshing AND hydrating all in one!
- It makes a great margarita or keg on the fly. Not fitness related, just awesome.
- It contains vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants, amino acids and a little potassium all in a fat-free package for around 40 calories per 1 cup serving.
- Watermelon is good for your heart! Its high levels of lycopene can protect cells from cells from damage and may help lower the risk of heart disease and fight cancer.
- All that vitamin A makes it great for your skin, too — which is especially nice if you’re planning on spending a lot of time in the sun. This vitamin helps keep skin and hair moisturized while encouraging healthy growth of new collagen and elastin cells.
- Two of the amino acids in watermelon, citrulline, and arginine, help improve circulation and may have a positive effect on athletic performance. They also help reduce muscle soreness and stiffness post workout.
- Baby carried one. Again, unrelated, but also, awesome.
As with anything, you should enjoy watermelon responsibly, (because too much can do some pretty awful things to your digestion). Other than that, dig in! You can juice it, eat it plain, grill it, add alcohol to it, make a salad, eat the seeds (they’re good for you too!), try it in salsa or make a sorbet all while beautifying your skin, protecting your heart, and helping your squat game.