Pre-vegan life, I loooooved crab cakes. They were an occasional indulgence because I 1) live in the desert and 2) they’re deeeeep fried, covered in sauce and in no way beneficial for my arteries. Post-vegan transition I figured I’d have to learn to live without seafood but I’m finding that some brands, like the folks over at Gardein, are way ahead of me. I grabbed their Mini Crabless Cakes out of curiosity but I’m definitely going to repurchase to try them in more things.
The salad itself is super simple. I used an airfryer for the cakes but they can also be made in the oven so don’t let that stop you!
- Gardein Mini Crabless Cakes
- Broccoli Slaw
- Urban Accents Tangy Tomatillo Garlic Taco Simmer Sauce
- Fresh Radish & Cilantro (for garnish)
- Lawry’s Chile & Garlic Seasoning*
- 1/2 of a med-lg Avocado
*This is my favorite for southwestern inspired dishes but feel free to sub your go-to chile or cayenne based seasoning.
- Prepare the crab cakes per package instructions. My airfryer only goes up to 400, so I put them in for 18 minutes as opposed to 9 minutes at 450.
- Time to assemble your salad! First, add a layer of broccoli slaw, followed by your crab cakes.
- Drizzle the cakes and slaw with the Urban Accents sauce.
- Add your avocado then sprinkle everything with the Chile & Garlic Seasoning.
- Top with your fresh garnish – I used radish and cilantro – and enjoy!
This salad is best served while the crab cakes are still warm. The contrast with the cool, crunchy slaw, spicy sauce, and creamy avocado really hits the spot.